The Bear’s Paw description of Edge Hill Band
Resource Type: Image | Posted on 15th May 2014 by Jenny Porter
The Bear’s Paw, stated here as a restaurant, is a local pub. Here is a description of the history of the Edge Hill band along with a menu which looks like it was from a Christmas meal. The text was written by Thomas Wallace and is transcribed below:
POINTS FROM THE HISTORY OF THE EDGE HILL (L.M.S) BAND
The first railway employees’ Brass Band at Edge Hill was known as the ‘Shed Band’. It was founded in 1879) and made its first public appearance in 1880. From 1884 until the amalgamation of the various Railways it was known as the “Edge Hill L. & N.W.R. Traffic Band”, and from this period onwards it took its present name.
Its first success in competition was at Colwyn Bay, New Year’s Day, 1912. It was making great progress from that time until the outbreak of War, when many of its members were called up for military service.
On the Band’s first appearance at Belle Vue Contest (Manchester) in May, 1924, they were awarded 1st Prize (twenty-three bands competing), following this up with winning 1st prize at Haydock in the same year. The Band went from success to success winning Belle Vue July Championship in the following year. Among the recent successes are the R.J. Ward Challenge Shield 1924-25 and 1928-29; Westhoughton and Hawarden, 1928. At the recent “Royal National Eisteddfod of Wales”, held in Sefton Park, Liverpool, they were awarded 2nd Prize, gaining 94 points against the winners 96 points.
Space does not permit for the mention of sacrifices made by the members to build up the Band to its present high standard, all having served faithfully and well.
The Band has already decided to compete in the National Brass Band Festival to be held at Crystal Palace in the coming year.
THOMAS WALLACE (secretary)
Categorised under: Social Life