Fred Currah mentions a driver who was electrocuted by his locomotive’s firelines

Resource Type: Image | Posted on 19th August 2011 by Liam Physick

Fred Currah recalls how a driver at Edge Hill was once electrocuted when he got too close to his locomotive’s firelines. He also remembers how Edge Hill used to have fires in the waiting room, and shops seliing cigarettes and newspapers, and of how, in the 1930s and 1940s, a locomotive would wait at the station until the train from London arrived, and would take the back coach to Southport. Finally, he talks about how, as a child, he would watch the trains go by from a bridge

Tagged under: steam locomotives, edge hill station, southport, electrocution

Categorised under: The Station & Railway Pioneers

Share this page:

Comments

By Dennis Flood on 2nd June 2015

It was very dangerous to use fire irons when a steam locomotive was under the overhead live wires. I knew a fireman who was electrocuted when he was attempting to put a fire iron (it was known as a `dart`) back into the side of the locomotive tender. He survived,but was very badly burnt. I am unable to play the audio of his interview with you so I hope Fred was referring to the safe use of fire irons when a locomotive was under the overhead live wires.

Remember my personal information?

Notify me of follow-up comments?