Cable Operation at Liverpool and London page 4
Resource Type: Image | Posted on 21st September 2012 by Liam Physick
The fourth and final page of “Cable Operation at Liverpool and London” begins by mentioning the fixed steam engines at Edge Hill to haul traffic from Wapping, using a rope of hempen at first, and then steel. The rope remained in use until 11th May 1896, when locomotives took over. Next, the page mentions Waterloo Tunnel, which was opened in August 1849, which used steel ropes to haul trains via Victoria Tunnel to Edge Hill: however, locomotives took over the service after the Victoria Tunnel rope broke on 16th February 1895. Next, the page addresses the Camden incline between Camden and Euston, which is better known, even though cables were used there for a much shorter period. Under the Act of the London and Birmingham Railway, the line was to terminate at Camden, and a further Act, on 3rd July 1835, was needed to extend it to Euston. As a result, the winding engines at Camden were not ready, so a locomotive was borrowed from Robert Stephenson and Co. to temporarily act as a banker. The winding engines were finally able to begin operation on 14th October 1837, three months after the opening of the line, and remained in use until 14th July 1844. Locomotives would be detached from up trains at Chalk Farm, and the coaches would be lowered to Euston, with brakesmen known as “bank riders” to make sure that they did not exceed 10 miles per hour (less if heavy or if the weather was bad). The illustration is an engraving of the London and Birmingham Railway.
Categorised under: The Station & Railway Pioneers